Telecommunications Technician Job Description Sample
This sample telecommunications technician job description provides the ideal framework for a posting that will lead the best-qualified candidates to your company. Maintain the basic layout of this ad, customize it with the duties and requirements specific to the job, and turn those candidates into applicants. You can also browse our telecommunications technician job listings for more ideas on filling out the perfect posting.
[Intro Paragraph] The ideal telecom technician job description begins with a paragraph introducing the prospective applicant to your company and its unique working environment. Just two to three sentences catering your recruiting pitch to the ideal candidate can set your company apart from competing listings and ensure you’re attracting the best of the best.
Telecommunications Technician Job Responsibilities:
- Establishes communications systems by installing, operating, and maintaining voice and data telecommunications network circuits and equipment.
- Plans network installations by studying customer orders, plans, manuals, and technical specifications; ordering and gathering equipment, supplies, materials, and tools; assessing installation site; and preparing an installation diagram.
- Establishes voice and data networks by running, pulling, terminating, and splicing cables; installing telecommunications equipment, routers, switches, multiplexors, cable trays, and alarm and fire-suppression systems; building ironwork and ladder racks; establishing connections; programming features; establishing connections and integrations; following industry standards; activating remote access tools; and coordinating with contractors.
- Verifies service by testing circuits, equipment, and alarms; and identifying, correcting, or escalating problems.
- Documents network by labeling and routing equipment and cables and recording configuration diagrams and specifications.
- Maintains network by troubleshooting and repairing outages, testing network back-up procedures, and updating documentation.
- Maintains customer rapport by listening to and resolving concerns and answering questions.
- Maintains safe work environment by following codes, standards, and legal regulations.
- Keeps supplies ready by inventorying stock, placing orders, and verifying receipt.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities and reading technical publications.
- Enhances department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests and exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
[Work Hours & Benefits] Be sure to include the work hours and benefits specific to your company. This is your chance to tell prospective telecom techs about flexible hours or workweek schedules and any travel requirements. This is also your chance to focus on benefits that set your company apart, like continuing education or tuition credits, childcare reimbursement, or paid leave.
Telecommunications Technician Qualifications/Skills:
- Telecommunications systems engineering
- Telecommunications knowledge
- Telecommunications technologies
- Audiovisual maintenance
- Technical understanding
- Functional and technical skills
- Attention to detail
- Verbal communication
- Documentation skills
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, electrical/electronic engineering, information technology, or another related field
- Associate degree in a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical training or work experience
- One to three years of related IT/telecommunications experience
- Data Center/PoP/Central Office installation experience preferred
- Prior experience with VOIP
- Prior experience with SIP Trunking implementations
- Experience with basic networking protocols including DNS, DHCP, VPNs, WAN/LAN TCP/IP
[Call to Action] You’ll get the most responses to your job posting with a compelling call to action right here. Let technician candidates know how to apply and encourage them to do so, letting them know whether to click the apply link at the top of the ad, fill out an application on your website, or send their resume to someone in your company.
Got the Perfect Job Description?
Posting a great job listing is the good start to finding the right telecom tech. But did you know Monster job ads also offers monthly plans that can be customized for any size company or job search, allowing you to swap out job ads and upgrade, scale down, or cancel at any time? Get started right here!