Software engineer job description sample
This software engineer job description sample can help you in creating a job application that will attract talented candidates who are qualified for the job. Feel free to revise this description to meet your specific duties and requirements. You can also browse Monster’s software engineer job listings for more ideas on how to fill out your description.
[Intro Paragraph] Beginning your software engineer job description with an introductory paragraph about your company and the working environment is the best way to set your company apart from other employers. Take two or three sentences to let developers know what you bring to the table for new hires so you know you’re attracting the best of the best.
Software Engineer Job Responsibilities:
- Develops information systems by designing, developing, and installing software solutions.
- Determines operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development, and proposed solutions.
- Develops software solutions by studying information needs, conferring with users, and studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes.
- Investigates problem areas.
- Follows the software development lifecycle.
- Documents and demonstrates solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
- Prepares and installs solutions by determining and designing system specifications, standards, and programming.
- Improves operations by conducting systems analysis and recommending changes in policies and procedures.
- Obtains and licenses software by obtaining required information from vendors, recommending purchases, and testing and approving products.
- Protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Provides information by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing development and service issues.
- Accomplishes engineering and organization mission by completing related results as needed.
[Work Hours & Benefits] Discuss the working hours and benefits specific to your company right here. Tell prospective software developers about flexible hours, the ability to work from home, or other telecommuting opportunities. You can also sell applicants on the benefits that set you apart, like conference sponsorships or continuing education or tuition credits.
Software Engineer Qualifications / Skills:
- Analyzing information
- General programming skills
- Software design
- Software debugging
- Software documentation
- Software testing
- Problem solving
- Software development fundamentals
- Software development process
- Software requirements
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
- 5+ years of professional software development experience
- Proficiency in Java or C++, and object-oriented design skills
- Application architecture and design patterns
- Experience serving as technical lead throughout the full software development lifecycle, from conception, architecture definition, detailed design, scoping, planning, implementation, testing to documentation, delivery and maintenance is preferred
- Knowledge of professional software engineering and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Experience in development of distributed/scalable systems and high-volume transaction applications
[Call to Action] You’ve got a candidate’s interest. Now how do you get their application? Include a compelling call to action right here that encourages job hunters to apply and tells them how. Advise prospective developers to click the “apply” button at the top of the job listing or to contact your HR department directly.
Happy with your job description?
You can wait for your next great software engineer to come to you, or you can go out and find them. With Monster job ads, you can choose from a variety of flexible monthly plans that allow you to upgrade, scale down, and cancel your candidate search at any time. You’ll even have access to our massive candidate engagement platform, SearchMonster, at no extra charge. Get started today!