Laboratory technician job description sample
This laboratory technician sample job description sample can be the blueprint for a job posting will attract the candidates best qualified for your position. Feel free to revise this job description to meet the specific job duties and job requirements for the role, and take a look at our lab tech job listings to find even more ideas for creating the best ad.
[Intro Paragraph] Want to make your job listing to stand out from the rest? Begin with a 2-3-sentence introduction telling a prospective applicant about your lab or facility. Letting job seekers know exactly what you have to offer new employees that other companies don’t is the perfect way to get candidates excited about the prospect of working for your company.
Laboratory Technician Job Responsibilities:
- Supports laboratory staff by maintaining glassware, logs, and record books; troubleshooting and resolving problems; and helping with special projects.
- Maintains glassware by picking-up, cleaning, washing, sterilizing, and distributing.
- Provides glassware by ordering, receiving, and inventorying glassware.
- Keeps laboratory supplies ready by inventorying stock, placing orders, and verifying receipt.
- Keeps equipment operating by following operating instructions, troubleshooting breakdowns, maintaining supplies, performing preventive maintenance, and calling for repairs.
- Documents information by maintaining daily logs and equipment record books.
- Resolves problems by examining and evaluating data and selecting corrective steps.
- Completes projects by assisting project team and attending and participating in group and project meetings.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities and reading technical publications.
- Enhances laboratory and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests and exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
[Work Hours & Benefits] This is the perfect place to include details about your company’s hourly requirements and available benefits as well. Tell prospective lab techs about flexible hours or work-week structures, commuting credits, or any travel requirements. Does your facility offer unique benefits beyond healthcare and a 401(k)? Highlight things like tuition or continuing education credits, conference sponsorship, childcare reimbursement, or paid parental leave.
Laboratory Technician Qualifications / Skills:
- Chemistry techniques
- Familiarity with a lab environment
- Clinical lab testing
- Cryogenic procedures
- Creating a safe, effective environment
- Equipment calibration
- Biohazard safety
- Medical teamwork
- Supply management
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Medical Technology (MT)/Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) or Associate’s degree in Medical Laboratory Technician-related science from an accredited program
- Current and active certification from the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) as a medical laboratory scientist (MLS) formerly known as MT or CLS or Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT)
- Valid and current driver’s license as a MT (CLS) or MLT
- Previous specialized experience in microbiology and blood banking is preferred
- Basic computer knowledge (Word and Excel) and skills in lab information systems is desirable
[Call to Action] The best performing job listings include well-crafted call to action, which turns potential applicants into actual applicants. Let prospective lab techs know exactly how to apply and what you need from them. For example, you can tell them to “click on the apply button at the top of the job listing” or have them email their resume and supporting documentation to a specific person at your company.
Is your job description ready for prime time?
Wonderful! While a great posting helps, it’s just the start of your candidate search. If you want to hire the best laboratory technician fast, Monster job ads can help. We provide a wide range of monthly plans to choose from, allowing you to swap out job ads, and you can cancel any time. Plus, you’ll have the ability to create video job descriptions with Monster Studios at no extra charge. Get started now!