Firefighter Job Description
It’s always important to get the most capable candidates possible when you’re trying to fill a job vacancy. However, the significance of attracting qualified staff coupled with the obligations of providing firefighting services to the public is especially consequential. Monster’s firefighter job description template is a useful tool to help you attract the best applicants. Follow the template’s organization and make it your own by incorporating specific details about the position. For more information, check out our firefighter job firefighter job postings.
[Intro Paragraph] Begin your firefighter job description by introducing candidates to your agency, organization, or entity. In this introduction, discuss how your organization is different from other similar ones. Both municipalities and private agencies have appealing traits that you can highlight. Although there are many similarities if you are part of a traditional municipal department, the municipalities vary greatly in size; on-site or industrial private firefighters will also have distinct experiences based on the work environment. Perhaps, you can mention that joining a small department has certain advantages or talk about your company’s reputation in the industry. Culture is also a major issue that you can discuss when you’re trying to stand out in the crowded field.
Firefighter Job Responsibilities:
- Protects citizens during emergencies.
- Extinguishes fires.
- Executes rescues.
- Mitigates chemical spills.
- Prevents fire damage by conducting surveys and inspections for hazards and enforcing codes.
- Prepares citizens to prevent fire damage by developing and conducting educational and training programs.
- Ensures availability of water at fire scene by testing hydrants, requesting and expediting repairs, and verifying repairs.
- Minimizes fire damage by responding to alarms, driving and operating equipment, regulating water pressure, combating and extinguishing fires, and rescuing and reviving people.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements, following manufacturer’s instructions, and troubleshooting malfunctions.
- Notifies supervisor of needed repairs.
- Evaluates new equipment and techniques.
- Maintains operations by following policies and procedures and reporting needed changes.
- Provides information by completing reports.
- Handles minor medical care and other emergency services.
- Maintains technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, studying publications, and participating in scheduled drills.
- Maintains fire station building, grounds, and related equipment by completing maintenance schedules.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
[Work Hours & Benefits] Placing your discussion of working hours and benefits in this section of your job description is a strategic move. People want to know what their average work day will look like. Provide detailed information about working conditions or requirements, including shift work, weekend work, overtime, and break schedule. This is especially relevant for firefighters. State whether employees will have 24 hour shifts or work in 8-12 hour shifts. Additionally, make sure to mention your own unique compensation and benefits package.
Firefighter Qualifications / Skills:
- Physical fitness
- Decision making
- Handles pressure
- Deals with uncertainty
- Emotional control
- Safety management
Education and Experience and Age Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Must pass physical and written tests
- Drug screening exam
- Medical exam
- Valid drivers’ license
- At least 18 years old
[Call To Action] Conclude your job description with a call to action, which will help yield more responses. Give them clear instructions, whether it’s applying on the company website or emailing their resume to a specific individual.
Looking to Increase Your Recruiting Options?
Although many people want to be firefighters, recruitment poses numerous challenges, such as intense competition for the top candidates. Don’t let quality job seekers get away. Let Monster help you, with features like a massive email database, and more. Discover your options today.