Direct support professional job description sample
This direct support professional job description sample is the perfect template for a posting that will attract the most dependable candidates. Customize the organization and structure of this template with the specifics of your exact duties and responsibilities, and you’ll turn candidates into applicants. You can also visit our healthcare support job listings to find even more ideas to add to your application.
Direct Support Professional
[Intro paragraph] Companies seeking the highest quality employees often begin the job description with a 2-3 sentence paragraph telling the job seeker a few things that make your company unique and the value you bring to new employees. This is your opportunity to really make your hospital, clinic, or medical facility shine and set yourself apart from any other therapist job postings.
Direct Support Professional Job Responsibilities:
- Provides direct care to those with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Performs personal care tasks, including assistance with basic personal hygiene and grooming, feeding, and ambulation, medical monitoring, and health care related tasks.
- Fosters positive relationships between caretakers and individuals served.
- Ensures client safety and maintaining a safe environment.
- Reminds and assists clients with self-administration of medications (with proper training).
- Encourages self-help activities.
- Reports changes in client’s condition or family situation to administrators and supervisors.
- Documents services provided.
- Performs home management functions such as light housekeeping, laundry, bed making, and cleaning.
- Plans meals, shopping for groceries, preparing and serving food/meals, feeding and clean-up.
- Accompanies clients to scheduled appointments and transports clients or running errands for clients.
- Assists with toileting, including bedpans, urinals, and commode chairs as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
[Work Hours & Benefits] This would be a great time to include details about the working hours and benefits at your business. Tell prospective support professionals about flexible hours or work-week structures, as well as any travel requirements. And don’t forget to sell job seekers on the benefits, like tuition or continuing education credits, paid parental leave, or childcare reimbursement, unique to your company.
Direct Support Professional Qualifications / Skills:
- Ability to work in a group home, home-like settings
- Communication skills (verbally and written) with all levels of personnel, internal and external to the company
- Ability to handle physical aspects of job, including bending, stooping, lifting, pushing, pulling, reaching, and walking for periods of time
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent
- 18 years of age or older
- Valid driver’s license
[Call to Action] Good job descriptions get a support professional’s attention. The best encourage them to actually apply. And you can do that with a well-crafted call to action that lets job hunters know exactly how to apply with details on application, resume, and supporting documents submission and include any other requirements. Or simply ask prospective hires to apply through your ad.
Ready to take your direct support professional job description to the next level?
Find the best of the best direct support professionals with Monster job ads. We provide you a wide range of monthly plans to choose from, allowing you to scale up, pare down, or cancel your job campaign any time. Get started today and you’ll even have access to MonsterSearch our candidate engagement platform, at no extra charge.