Civil engineer job description sample
This civil engineer job description sample is the perfect guide for creating a posting that will catch the eye of the best-qualified candidates. Keep the basic layout of this job posting and then personalize it with the specific duties and requirements of your position. For even more ideas on turning candidates into applicants, you can browse our civil engineer job listings.
[Intro Paragraph] The best job descriptions introduce prospective civil engineers to your firm and unique working environment right at the top. Two or three sentences catering your recruiting pitch to your ideal candidate can set your company apart from competing listings. Ensure you’re attracting the best of the best by letting potential applicants know what you’re bringing to the table.
Civil Engineer Job Responsibilities:
- Completes construction projects by preparing engineering design and documents and confirming specifications.
- Designs construction projects by studying project concept, architectural drawings, and models.
- Prepares engineering design by collecting and studying reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, aerial photographs, and tests on soil composition, terrain, hydrological characteristics, and related topographical and geologic data.
- Determines project costs by calculating labor, material, and related costs.
- Creates feasibility study by analyzing engineering design, conducting environmental impact studies, and assembling data.
- Produces engineering documents by developing construction specifications, plans, and schedules.
- Confirms adherence to construction specifications and safety standards by monitoring project progress, inspecting construction site, and verifying calculations and placements.
- Fulfills project requirements by training and guiding operators.
- Maintains operations by enforcing project and operational policies and procedures.
- Provides engineering information by answering questions and requests.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating future legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; and advising management on needed actions.
- Maintains project database by writing computer programs, entering data, and completing backups.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
[Work Hours & Benefits] This is a great place to highlight work hours and benefits specific to your firm. Potential civil engineer applicants want to learn things like team size, remote work, and travel opportunities. You can also describe any benefits that set your company apart, like tuition credits, childcare reimbursements, or commuter benefits.
Civil Engineer Qualifications/Skills:
- CAD and AutoCAD proficiency
- Design skills
- Site development
- Database design
- Conceptual skills
- Legal compliance
- Drafting, LISP
- Problem solving
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in civil/structural engineering, architectural engineering, or architecture
- PE required for an engineer or RA required for an architect
- NCARB certified preferred
- Eight to 10 years of engineering or architectural experience.
[Call to Action] The most effective job postings include a call to action letting engineer candidates know how to apply and encouraging them to do so. Let potential hires know whether they should click the “apply” link at the top of the listing or visit your website and send resumes and supporting documents to someone specific in your firm.
Put the perfect job description together?
Great job! (Get it?) Now take your search to the next level with Monster job ads. We offer monthly plans that can be customized for any size company or job search, meaning you can swap out job ads while upgrading, scaling down, or cancelling at any time. Get started right here and you’ll get free access Monster Studios, where you can create video job descriptions, as well.