Cashier job description sample
This cashier job description sample can help you create a job ad that will attract qualified candidates for your opening. Revise this job description with your specific duties and job requirements. If you need help in crafting your duties and requirements look at examples in our cashier job listings.
[Intro Paragraph] We strongly recommend starting your cashier job description with a marketing summary of your company and your business. You want potential job applicants to be excited about the prospect of working for you. Also, tell the job seeker what you have to offer new employees that make you stand apart from other companies.
Cashier Job Responsibilities:
- Provides a positive customer experience with fair, friendly, and courteous service.
- Registers sales on a cash register by scanning items, itemizing and totaling customers’ purchases.
- Resolves customer issues and answers questions.
- Bags purchases if needed.
- Processes return transactions.
- Itemizes and totals purchases by recording prices, departments, taxable and nontaxable items; and operating a cash register.
- Enters price changes by referring to price sheets and special sale bulletins.
- Discounts purchases by redeeming coupons.
- Collects payments by accepting cash, check, or charge payments from customers and makes change for cash customers.
- Verifies credit acceptance by reviewing and recording driver’s license number; and operating credit card authorization systems.
- Balances cash drawer by counting cash at beginning and end of work shift.
- Provides pricing information by answering questions.
- Maintains checkout operations by following policies and procedures and reporting needed changes.
- Maintains a safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
[Work Hours & Benefits] Putting the information about working hours and benefits in this location helps keep your job seeker’s interest, encouraging them to continue reading your job ad. This is where you want to describe working conditions or requirements things like shift work, weekend work, overtime, and break schedules. Also, do be sure to mention special benefits that your company provides that others might not.
Cashier Qualifications/ Skills:
- Friendly and positive attitude
- Excellent customer service
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to make change
- Basic math skills
- Attention to detail
Education and Experience Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent desired
- 0-1 years of retail experience desired
- Effective communication and customer service skills
- Readily adjusts schedule, tasks, and priorities when necessary to meet business needs
[Call To Action] You will get more responses to your job ad if you put a call to action here at the end of your cashier job description. Tell your job seeker how to apply for your position. For example, guide them to apply by clicking on the “apply” button at the top of the job listing or by emailing a resume or filling out an application on the company’s website.
Happy with your cashier job description? Get it working for you
If you want to hire a cashier as soon as possible, Monster can help. There are several monthly plans to choose from that will fit your needs. These plans let you swap out job ads, upgrade or scale down based on your needs. Additional services are included in these plans at no additional charge. Check it out and get started today!