Hospital Admissions Director
[Intro Paragraph] Begin your hospital admission director job description with a concise paragraph or list of bulleted items designed to sell your workplace to applicants. Emphasize your hospital or healthcare system’s values, mission, reputation, research and innovation, awards, and institutional and educational partnerships. Mention leadership opportunities and training, but also ways your company or institution makes a difference in people’s lives and healthcare outcomes.
Hospital Admissions Director Job Responsibilities:
- Directs admissions and discharge processes for in-patient and out-patient services.
- Develops, implements, and maintains revenue-generating strategies related to admissions and patient capacity.
- Determines and implements admissions best-practices, develops and revises admission and discharge processes, and oversees admissions staff.
- Records and reports data related to admissions, discharges, and admission inquiries to senior management.
- Informs cleaning staff of all discharges.
- Gathers information about patient satisfaction.
- Develops departmental and institutional goals.
- Helps to recruit, hire, and onboard staff.
- Manages admissions staff.
- Manages admissions inquiries.
- Monitors admissions capacity and makes sure it is effectively communicated to clinicians and other personnel.
- Determines admissions targets and develops relationships within the community to drive admissions numbers.
- Works with marketing team to develop brochures, newsletters, advertisements, and other promotional material to increase facility’s brand awareness within the community.
- Stays apprised of federal and state regulations governing capacity, billing, and reimbursement, including Medicaid and Medicare guidelines, as well as Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) standards.
- Schedules and conducts tours of facilities and rooms.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending workshops and seminars, reviewing professional publications, and participating in professional societies.
[Work Hours & Benefits] In this section of your hospital admission director job description, you’ll want to sell the position to potential applicants in a similar way as your first paragraph marketed your workplace to candidates. To ensure that the salary range you mention is in line with similar salaries in your region, you can use a salary tool that allows you to input job title and location. You can also mention benefits, including medical benefits, 401(k), tuition reimbursement, paid vacation, work-life balance, and on-site amenities such as a fitness center or daycare.
Hospital Admissions Director Skills/Qualifications:
- Familiarity with electronic health record (EHR) systems
- Knowledge of medical terminology and insurance billing coding
- Strategic planning and decision-making ability
- Process improvement mindset
- Quality management focus
- Excellent communication, listening, and interpersonal skills
- Leadership and mentoring skills
- Ability to collaborate effectively with fellow administrative team members with a diverse range of expertise
- Strategic and crisis management, problem-solving, and planning skills
- Business administration and operations experience or training
- Understanding of the basics of patient care
- Data analysis skills
- Budgeting and vendor negotiation skills
- Knowledge of quality assurance best practices
- Mission-driven and service mindset
Education, Experience, & Licensing Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in healthcare administration or similar field preferred
- Master’s degree in public health, healthcare administration, or business administration a plus.
- 2-3 years’ experience in healthcare administration at the managerial level required, director level preferred
- Prior experience in healthcare admissions preferred
- American College of Healthcare Executives certification
- American Association of Healthcare Administrative Management Certified Medical Manager
- Lean Six Sigma Certification, or knowledge and training in Continuous Process Improvement
[Call to Action] Your hospital admissions director job description should finish strong with a call to action that urges applicants to send a resume along with a cover letter or fill out an online application.
Find the Remedy to Your Healthcare Admissions Ailments with a Free Job Listing
Now that you know how to write a complete, professionally worded hospital admissions director job description, get the word out to the most qualified candidates in the industry with a free job posting on Monster. A healthy candidate pool will help to ensure a good hire. Try today!