Veterinary Technician Sample Job Description
This veterinary technician sample job description can assist in your creating a job application that will attract job candidates who are qualified for the job. Feel free to revise this job description to meet your specific job Job Duties and job requirements.
Veterinary Technician Job Responsibilities:
A veterinary technician provides animal care by determining animal requirements; conducting examinations and diagnostic procedures; assisting during operations; feeding and caring for animals; maintaining supplies and equipment; maintaining records.
Veterinary Technician Job Duties:
- Determines animal requirements by conducting examinations and interviews; reviewing care plans and records; completing laboratory tests and studies, and diagnostic imaging.
- Cares for animals by taking vital signs; collecting samples; administering medications, drugs, and vaccines; bandaging and wrapping wounds; performing hydrotherapy, physical and inhalation therapies.
- Supports animal examinations by assembling required supplies and instruments; securing and bringing animals to examination room; restraining animals; providing assistance as directed; explaining animal's status to owner.
- Supports operations by assembling required supplies and instruments; setting-up surgery table instruments; restraining animals; completing local/regional anesthesia; operating and monitoring anesthetic machines; hooking-up ECG monitors; preparing surgical site; placing catheters; obtaining blood gases; cleaning-up post-surgical site; maintaining sterile conditions; obtaining and verifying medications.
- Maintains animals by feeding and watering animals; cleaning animals' rooms, cages, and equipment; changing cages; observing for clinical signs of disease.
- Maintains safe, secure, healthy and humane environment by sterilizing and wrapping instruments; sanitizing and disinfecting holding and operating areas; storing sterile supplies; verifying shelf life; following standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
- Maintains animal records by documenting animal conditions, reactions, and changes; updating database.
- Maintains equipment by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining equipment supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs.
- Keeps supplies ready by inventorying stock; placing orders; verifying receipt.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional journals.
- Enhances service reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments. Skills/Qualifications: Knowledge of Animal Behavior, Animal Husbandry, Documentation Skills, Analyzing Information , Clinical Skills, Creating a Safe, Effective Environment, Performing Diagnostic Procedures, Use of Medical Technologies, Attention to Detail, Patience, Verbal Communication
Veterinary Technician Skills and Qualifications:
Knowledge of Animal Behavior, Animal Husbandry, Documentation Skills, Analyzing Information , Clinical Skills, Creating a Safe, Effective Environment, Performing Diagnostic Procedures, Use of Medical Technologies, Attention to Detail, Patience, Verbal Communication
Employers: Post a job in minutes to reach candidates everywhere.
Job Seekers: Search Veterinary Technician Jobs and apply on Monster now.
Learn more about the hiring process: