This patient health education director-hospital sample job description can assist in your creating a job application that will attract job candidates who are qualified for the job. Feel free to revise this job description to meet your specific job duties and job requirements.
Description: Patient Health Education Director - Hospital
Patient Health Education Director - Hospital Job Purpose: Improves patient health outcomes by promoting healthy behaviors; supporting the recovery process; enabling the patient/family/significant other(s) to be involved in care and care decisions.
Patient Health Education Director - Hospital Job Duties:
- Develops, implements, and evaluates patient education programs by conducting needs assessments; consulting with physicians, evaluating departmental and administrative requests; establishing rapport with potential and actual clients and other persons in a position to understand patient education requirements.
- Identifies educational needs of patient/family/significant other(s) by collaborating with attending physicians, department heads, and staff.
- Facilitates learning by gaining understanding of the learners' abilities to learn, cultural and religious practices, emotional barriers, desire and motivation to learn, physical and/or cognitive limitations, language barriers, and readiness to learn.
- Encourages participation in decision-making about health care options by facilitating the patient's and patient/family and/or significant other(s) understanding of patient's health status.
- Maximizes care skills by increasing the patient/family/significant other(s) ability to cope with patient's health status/prognosis/outcome.
- Enhances the patient/family/significant other(s) role by promoting healthy lifestyles.
- Selects, adapts, and individualizes patient education information for the patient/family by evaluating available brochures, printed materials, video tapes, and external resources in light of the age, culture, religious practices, and language of the patient/family/significant other(s).
- Documents patient care services by completing charting in patient and department records.
- Improves quality results by studying, evaluating, and re-designing processes; implementing changes.
- Identifies future patient education requirements by maintaining rapport with potential and actual clients and other persons in a position to understand emerging patient education requirements; identifying community and other resources.
- Serves and protects the hospital community by adhering to professional standards, hospital policies and procedures, federal, state, and local requirements, and Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) standards.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Enhances hospital reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Skills/Qualifications: FDA Health Regulations, Patient Services, Creating a Safe, Effective Environment, Health Promotion and Maintenance, Informing Others, Verbal Communication, Teaching, Planning, Management Proficiency, Job Knowledge, Quality Management
Read more about how to hire: